Light Propulsion of Graphene Material

SebastianGSebastianG Posts: 184
Researchers created a sponge of graphene material which can be pushed with an external laser:

Paper:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1505/1505.04254.pdf

Video demonstration:

Apparently electrons are emitted by the material while it is focused by a laser beam.

But I'm asking myself some questions:
1. Is the graphene losing electrons?
2. Would this destroy the graphene material after some time?

Could this be a meaningful propulsion method for space ships, what do you think?

Comments

• RadekCernyRadekCerny Posts: 14
    edited April 2020
    Jumping the gun I think. We would need to establish what proportion of the light energy is converted to inertia, and really we need to understand the physics behind it. It appears to show that light carries inertia - or a deeper explanation of electrons being dissipated would worry me about the state of the matter in decay. If this is real and not a hoax, is it supported in theory by conventional physics and/or Distinti's world?
  • MenausMenaus Posts: 21
    edited April 2020
    It seems to me akin to the reciprocal phenomenon to x-rays...

It is known that X-rays are caused by electrons striking a certain material, which then emits the rays. Reciprocally, if light strikes a (opposite sort of) material, then it should emit electrons.
  • MarcinMatMarcinMat Posts: 6
    edited April 2020
    I do not know what is so surprising about this experiment that light pushes objects has been known for 100 years .

Dark objects simply convert more energy at various frequencies in to heat "movement of atoms" or emit as infrared radiation.
    The same process generate movement in em-drive.
    When the power of the generated force is determined from the syncronisation wavelength to the material structure .To direct movement of atoms in one direction.
    In theory on this principle could be built a transport beam :)
  • SebastianGSebastianG Posts: 184
    edited April 2020
    The lightmill does not work in a complete vacuum, it only turns in a partial vacuum:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

I think the propulsion of the graphene is working differently.
    edited April 2020
    So there is no light pressure ? So how the light sails work in space, because we know that they work?
    edited April 2020
    You're right, the light sails work with radiation pressure from the sun. But the amount of force is really small.

The light mill can't move with only the radiation pressure, because the friction is too high (If it would only need radiation pressure, it would work in a vacuum).

For me it looks like the force on the graphene is much higher than the force from the radiation pressure. As I understood that is because the electrons are shooting out of the graphene, but I'm not sure?
    edited April 2020
    If the electrons is fired from the carbon atoms, graphene would soon be charged positively to a very high load, which led to the disintegration of connections, and the graphene structure . The unique two-dimensional structure can cause increased vibrations of atoms in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the material, or greater damping in the plane. The laser light passes energy to the carbon atoms, the atoms turn it in motion (teperature is incremented) Partial re-emitting energy as infrared. The direction of movement of atoms and re-emission of photon simply needs to be greater for the graphene because of its structure.
    edited April 2020
    Maybe it is possible to recharge the graphene with free electrons, maybe with solar panels?

Here is an article which mentions the possibilty of a spacecraft propulsion:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... -sunlight/

Have you see the movie "First Men in the Moon" (1964)?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058100/
    They used a material which shielded the gravitational pull of earth to move their spacecraft. The material was painted on shutters so they could controll the direction of the shielding/movement.
    Maybe they could use the graphene in a similar way :)
    edited April 2020
    Of course we can supply electrons to graphene but then it will be just iondrive?
    Personally, I am an advocate of the theory that gravity acts from outside and pushes objects to each other, so a spaceship would be shielded from "above".
    Probably strong electric field could shield gravity
    Only fast rotating mass for certain influence gravity, probably because of eather drag.
    edited April 2020
    An iondrive has its propellant material, for example xenon gas.
    If the graphene is also losing material, it would be just like an ion drive.

Yes, I also think that you would have to shield gravity above :)